Sunday, October 10, 2010

Happy Birthday.

Saturday October 8th was the late great musician John Lennon's 70th birthday.  If I haven't said it before, I will again.  A few things move me personally.  One of them is music.  When I was younger, it was just my mother and myself living together.
   We didnt have alot but we had a record player.  Mom would get off of work and do a few things on payday. She'd pay the bills, get food, put gas in the car and buy a single 45" record for our record player.  For you people who dont know what a 45" record is.... Do me a huge favor and look it up.  If you have some sitting around old mom and pop's house they could be worth TONS of money!  Look it up and go from there.
    Some of the records mother brought home for us to listen were Chuck Berry, Elvis, Johnny Cash, The Rolling Stones, Dolly Parton, Cream, The Who and others.  The one that she never missed out getting when a new one came out was ... The Beatles.  Infact my mother still has at her sisters house an original "Meet the Beatles" album from 1963.  Back to my story. haha  The Beatles were 4 lads from Liverpool, England.  John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Harrison.
    The Beatles made some of the most influental music ever made in the world!  "Love Me do", "Hold My Hand", "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band", "DayTripper". and countless others.  My lord The Beatles made some of the most beautiful music ever.
    John and Paul were mostly the song writers.  They were the best of friends but could be the worst of enemies.  Shit happens.  The band decides to break up... John goes into hiatus for awhile.  While he's in hiatus, he's writing more and more music.  Him and his bride Yoko Ono have a sleep in.  Whats that you say?  Its where they stayed in bed for a long time protesting the Vietnam War.  Makes sense to me!
    With his writings he decided to record.  Out of all of shit, we came to hear the true genius.  Songs like "Mother", "Love", "Whatever gets you through the night" and his greatest of all time.... "Imagine"
With these songs, Lennon made you think.  Infact, his songs are making us think everyday.   His songs made people think so much that the FBI, CIA and other government agencies took notice of Lennon and investigated him till the day he died.
    In 1980, John was shot and killed out in front of his home "The Dakota".  He was 40 years of age.  He was killed by a deranged fan by the name of Mark David Chapman.  I remember it well.  I was 13 years old and thinking what the fuck just happened?  I'll keep that memory with me like I will Ronald Reagan getting shot.  The Persian Gulf invasion.  911 Twin Towers.  Shock and Awe with Operation Freedom.
      Long story short people.....  If you want to hear good music to have a drink or a smoke to. Please check out some John Lennon!  You will not be dissapointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment