Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Country Music Awards?

  Tonight I turn on the 44th Annual Country Music Awards.  I'm a lover of all music but I've noticed the older I get the more I listen to country tunes.  I think that the more mature I get, that the country style of music and it's honest lyrics suit me more.
  My mother influenced me with her music choices while I was growing up.  We listened to rock, motown, country and the british invasion.  Through the years I've leaned more towards the motown/british invasion tunes.  Both are fantastic genres to follow.
   As I repeat myself, I'm beginning to enjoy country music tenfold over the other styles because of the honesty and truth in the writings.  Every country song tells a story of some kind.  For this I appreciate it more and more.  I grew up on some of the legends like, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Freddy Fender, Charlie Pride, Charlie Rich and countless others.  Now I come to the newest superstars of country music.  We have George Straight, Toby Keith, Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley, Miranda Lambert, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Darius Rucker, The Zac Brown Band and countless others.
   I get to watching this festival of music and am really enjoying myself.  Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood are the hosts and doing a great job. We see Miranda Lambert win an award.  We see trio Lady Antabelum win an award.  I watch Keith Urban perform.  I see Reba McEntire perform.  Blake Shelton wins an award.  The show is going great!
  Commercial time and I grab a beer.  I kick back and get ready for the show to start again.  Lights come up and the next thing I see is Kid Rock.  Kid Rock?  What the fuck?  I love Kid Rock and all but now he's into the country scene?  I've seen Kid Rock perform and he's one of the greatest artists going today.  There aint nothing this man can't do on a stage.
     What's Bobby (his real name) trying to do now?  Is he wanting to take over country music like he did metal rap?  Is he trying to take over country music like he did rock?   If he does, God bless him for it.  I know his good friend is Hank Williams Jr.  I know his good friends are the members of Lynyrd Skynyrd.  He does an incredible job of playing southern rock and I have a feeling he'll kick major ass with country music.
   Now I look up at the t.v. and see movie actress Gwynyth Paltrow singing a country song.  Now mind you, she's good.  I mean she's fucking good!  But what the hell is going on?  Does everyone think they can sing country music?  Next thing you know your going to tell me that Hootie is going to cut a country album. FUCK!  He did that.  Hell he's cut two now.  What the hell is going on?  By the way Darius Rucker of Hootie and the Blowfish is one of the greatest talents in country today.  My lord this man can sing.
   After I get to thinking about it, I'm all for anyone that can sing joining the country music society.  Keep it up people and make some fantastic music!

No comments:

Post a Comment